POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Feb 2008 07:29:29
Message: <47bd6ea9$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> This is exactly what I don't like in POV. You can't just throw a scene to it and
> let it render it accurately. You have to enable many kind of features and you
> have to guess which features your scene actually needs. POV can't decide it for
> you.

This is what I don't like about GPUs and scanline rendering. Everything
is textured polygons; the rest is lashings and lashings of deceptive
trickery to make it *look* like the real thing. But with POV-Ray, if I
ask for a sphere, I get a sphere. Not some polygon mesh approximating a
sphere, but AN ACTUAL SPHERE. You can construct shapes of arbitrary
complexity. Surfaces and textures can be magnified arbitrarily and never
look pixellated. Reflections JUST WORK. Refraction JUST WORKS. Etc.

I can certainly see the advantage of a "I just throw objects in and it
works" approach to lighting. But then, that's more or less how POV-Ray's
radiosity feature works. You usually don't have to twiddle the settings
all *that* much - it's more a question of how many years you're willing
to wait for the result. And that's the kind of worrying part - how many
years will you have to wait for the result from an unbiased renderer?

(OTOH, the fast preview you can get sounds like a useful feature. Ever
wait 6 hours for a render only to find out that actually it looks lame?
It's not funny...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/